Monday, May 7, 2012

HULK SMASH

Last week we completed the Reading Series. Hooray!
Now, I can actually pick and choose what we read in class.
Oh joy of joys -- Freedom!

Today we read the story, When Sophie Gets Angry - Really, Really Angry....
I like this story because it covers many topics.
Imagery - Author's Purpose - Cause and Effect - Feelings

When I thought about the lessons I wanted to do with this book, a lightbulb turned on in my head:

The HULK!

The Hulk has major problems dealing with his anger just like our main character, Sophie.

Since the Avengers just came out and you know the kids go ga-ga for super heroes, I pulled out my Hulk Hands {Yes, I own a pair - They are almost 10 years old!}




I came out with those things on and the kiddos were hooked!


First, I read the story aloud, stopping at certain parts of the book to let the kids get with their "thinking partners" and discuss questions I had about the story.






Let them talk during a story???
During this time of year -- Oh ya, I'm not fighting with their summer-itis!


They were totally engaged. 
Which makes me worry that my students have anger issues ....


Afterwards, we completed our Anger Management Anchor Chart.
I read them a way to handle anger and they added it to the chart. Then, they had to decide if it was a good way (thumbs up) or a bad way (thumbs down) to handle anger.


Sorry, it is so difficult to read. The chart says:
"Everyone gets angry sometimes. It is how
we handle the anger that is important."


Completed Chart
Later in the day, we wrote about times when we were angry.


I was inspired by Cara Carroll's "No David" Inferencing craftivity.


 I told them to write about what made them angry, how they handled their anger, and what calmed them down. Then, they added Hulk heads to their writing.
Love their Hulk heads - So angry!


I think their pieces are some of the best this year
{strong - voice, organization, word choice; weak - conventions!}






Sorry, crummy pictures!
I'm running out of places to hang their work!
At the end of the day, they were begging me to let them play with the Hulk hands.

I caved and let them have a little fun.
No one was harmed during play time. They were just hamming it up for my camera.


I love her face as she is watching!
I'll add the anchor chart phrases & hands, writing paper, and dimensions to the Hulk heads on a post tomorrow.
I left it at school. 
Bad Teacher!

7 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I love the book and the hulk ideas. Thanks for sharing!
    Lyn
    Mrs. Goff's Pre-K Tales

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Precious! Can't wait for the stuff to go with it! I am SO doing this with my kinders... I can only imagine what their angry stories will be about!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! My classroom has a superhero theme and this would be perfect!

    Tales of An Elementary Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are adorable! What six-year-old boy would not want to put a hulk head on his writing??? Love it!

    Amanda
    First Grade Garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! I have so much to comment on. I love love love this idea. I was just thinking yesterday as I was discussing the Avengers with my boys in my class that I needed to take advantage of their enthusiasm. I think they were impressed they could discuss the super heroes with their femail teacher. I had seen the movie Sunday night. I love that you used the book When Sophie Gets Angry. My niece is Sophie and she is goign through the terrible twos currently. My sister and I saw that book at our used book store and had to buy it because Sophie was angry at that moment. I can't wait to do this in my classroom. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever idea. I just found your blog and I am your newest follower.
    Sandra
    Classroom Companion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent article.Its really a good article. It gives me lots of pleasure and interest. It’s a most important post. So i want to know some other details about this article.
    Keyboard and Mouse Combo

    ReplyDelete